To me, ladyfingers are controversial.There are the okra-lovers and there are the okra lovers and there are the okra heaters. for many people,ladyfingers are gooey and slimy.
But i know too many fans of the ladyfinger,who swear by the slender,green vegatable. In parts of the eastern and southern mediterranean,where okra is hugely popular,they cook it without cutting,and by tossing it in salt and vinegar,allowing it to marinate for an hour or so.
This makes it less slimy.you can also dry it in the sun after salting it.back home.,we fry a lot of bhindi,sometimes slicing it so fine that it turns into crisp fritters in the oil.
however,if you like okra the way i suppose god meant it to be-soft,gooey and slimy-toss in onion as well,as shown in the recipe below.
Ingredients for Bhindi Fatafat
- 500gm Ladyfingers
- 1/2 medium onion,sliced
- 1/2 tomato,diced
- 2 green chillies,slit
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove,bruised
- 8-10 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- salt to taste
- 1 cup water
HOW TO MAKE BHINDI FATAFAT RECIPE
- Remove the heads and tips of the ladyfingers and slice them diagonally.
- Heat water in a pan.Add the sliced ladyfingers along with the onion,tomato and green chillies.
- There should be enough water in the pan to cover the vegetables.sprinkle some salt.
- Bring the vegetables to boil and then simmer for about 6-8 min,or until the ladyfingers seem tender.
- In a small frying pan,heat coconut oil,then temper with mustard seeds,garlic and curry leaves for about 30sec.
- pour this tempering onto the cooked ladyfingers.
- cover and cook the dish for few minutes more till all the water has evaporated.
- serve hot.