As a vegetarian, how often have you been short-changed when it comes to biryani or pulao? This is one recipe that will help you avenge the times your options were limited to vegetable pulao.CHANE KA PULAO is great option.
You can make it either with chickpeas(kabuli chana)or black chana,its up to you.personally,I like it with the latter,but i’ve Given the kabuli chana variation,beacuse most people trat black chana as poor man’s food.instead of relying on this preconceived notion,let us trust the judgement of our buds!
Ingredients for CHANE KA PULAVO
- 3 cups basmati risesoaked for 30mins
- 400gm chickpeas,soaked overnight
- 1 nedium onion,thinly sliced
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 2 one inch cinnamon sticks
- 5-6 cloves
- 3 tsp cumin seeds( jeera)
- 1 and 1/2 cup thick plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tsp aniseed powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 4 tbsp oil
- 3 tsp salt
- 3 and 1/2 cups water
HOW TO COOK CHANE KA PULAO
- In a pan,heal oil.Add onion and fry till golden-brown.Add cardamom pods,cloves,cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds and stir fry for about 10sec.
- now mix in ginger-garlic paste,two tsp salt and red chilli powder.saute on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- once the dry spices are combined,pour in the curd and chickpeas.Mix well and cook on a medium-high flame till all the excess water evaporates.
- Add garam masala and aniseed powder to the dish.cover with lid and cook.
- cook on a high flame for 7 minutes till the excess water dries up.
- Now cover the pan.the lid should be tightly closed making sure no steam is let out.
- cook on low heat for 15 minutes or till the rice is done.