16 October, 2020
How to Make Dal Tadka
The Punjabi mab ki dal or black dal is what everyone drools over. Accepted that making good black dal requires painstaking care,but if well made,it is rich,creamy,buttery and well worth the effort.I have to argue,however,on behalf of the humble yellow dal tadka or dal fry.
To my mind,just for pure flavour,nothing beats yellow dal tempered with spices,green chillies and onion.like nothing beats yellow mori dal that the parsis make with rice and ghee.In pakistan, Dal Tadka is made with urad dal instead of tur dal or masur dal. This variant of dal tadka wiil leave you asking for more.
Ingredients required for Dal Tadka
- 1 cup spilt white lentils ( urad dal)
- 1/2 tomato,finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 red onion,thinly sliced
- 4-5 small round red chillies
- 1 tsp cumin seeds( jeera )
- 2 springs curry leaves
- 3 tbsp oil
- coriander leaves,chopped
- 5 mint leaves,chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, julienned
- 1 green chilli, julienned
How to make restaurant type Dal Tadka
- In a medium-sized saucepan,pour water to boil.when the water is boling, add the urad dal, salt, turmeric powder,red chilli powder and tomato.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for about 20 min, or until the water has evaporated.
- Lightly mash the dal with your fingers ensuring that the grains still remain whole.
- In a frying pan, heat oil on medium flame.add the onion and saute for 3 min.
- Now add the cumin seeds,curry leaves,whole dried red chillies and fry until the onion turns golden brown.
- Once the onion are golden-brown,pour the tempering over the dal.mix gently.
- Garnish with the ginger,coriander leaves,mint leaves, and green chilli.
- serve warm.