2 January, 2021
Mash ki Daal Restaurant Type Recipe
Mash ki Daal is a rich full of flavor dish, made with white lentils. The great variety of spices in the Mash ki Daal provide lots of flavors and give you a real taste of India. Try this nutritious dish and let it be one of your favorites
Ingredients for Mash dal recipe
- 1 cup lentils (mash ki daal)
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- Salt as needed
- Black pepper as needed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chicken powder
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 inch ginger (peeled and grated)
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 2 fresh ripe tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- Soak the lentils for about an hour or 2. Then take water in a deep pan and allow it to boil, Drain out the water from the soaked lentils, washed them then add the lentils to the boiling water. Also, add ½ teaspoon of salt and allow the lentils to cook for about 15 to 20 minutes or until soft but don’t overcook otherwise the lentils will mash-up.
- Drain out the water and place the lentils in a colander to remove excess water.
- Now heat butter in a pan and allow it to melt, then add garlic mince, cumin powder, curry powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt and sauté for few seconds to 1 minute.
- Add chopped ripe tomatoes, cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes at low heat or until the tomatoes softens.
- Uncover the pan and smash the tomatoes with a wooden spatula until it forms a fine gravy. Add the boiled lentils and chicken powder, add ½ cup of water and cook for about 10 more minutes or until the spices and lentils are properly mixed but don’t overcook, keep on checking the lentil.
- Just before 2 minutes of removing from heat, add grated ginger, green chilies, and chopped parsley and take out in a serving dish.
- Serve with traditional Indian Roti or nan and enjoy hot.
Ready in: 45 Minutes