29 December, 2020
Prawn Karahi Recipe
The name of this dish, prawn karahi, refers to the way this dish is prepared; in a karahi. A karahi is a thick Indian cooking pot with an almost similar shape as a wok, but they have deeper sides.
This recipe of prawn karahi gives you a delicious taste of prawns in an amazingly tasty curry.
Ingredients Prawn Karahi recipe
- 2 pounds prawns (Cleaned and deveined)
- 5 fresh ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 teaspoons garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- Salt as needed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 2b tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Take prawns in a bowl and add lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Mix well until fully coated then place in a refrigerator for an hour or two.
- Take black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon sticks, and peppercorns in a grinder and grind well until a fine powder. Set aside covered for a fresh aroma.
- Now heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan and add garlic and ginger paste, sauté for few seconds then add curry powder, turmeric powder, and salt and cook until the spices are ready then add the marinated prawns and cook for 3 minutes or until pink. Take out in a dish and set out.
- Now in the same pan heat the remaining oil and add cumin seeds, dried coriander, and red chili powder, sauté for 1 minute then add chopped tomatoes, cover the lid and simmer for about 6 to 7 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
- Smash the tomatoes with a wooden spatula then add the fried prawns and green chilies. Cook for a further 5 to 6 minutes or until the tomatoes leaves it oil and gravy. Season with the cinnamon mixture prepared before.
- Take out in a serving dish and garnish with chopped parsley and serve with hot naans.