29 December, 2020
Sambar Recipe/South Indian Homemade
This Tempting Sambar dish is a combination of lentil and various veggies that are cooked in special sambar spices.
Tempting Sambar can be well served with white rice and as it has a curried nature, you can also enjoy this with Indian naans or simply as a vegetable and lentil soup.
Be careful while using pressure cooker and don’t uncover the lid before it stops whistling and completely settles.
Ingredients For Sambar
- 1 cup pigeon pea lentil
- ½ Onion (chopped)
- ½ carrot (peeled and chopped)
- ¼ cup peas
- ½ potato (peeled and chopped)
- Salt as needed
- 1 ½ teaspoon sambhar powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon dried coriander
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Water as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 3 to 4 curry leaves
- Rinse and soak the lentil for about 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat about 2 to 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and add lentil and salt. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes until the foam settled inside then seal with its lid and cook for a further 8 to 9 minutes after it starts whistling.
- Uncover the cooker and add all of the veggies, sambhar powder, paprika, cumin seeds, dry coriander, turmeric powder, and again cover the lid. Cook for 4 to 5 more minutes. When done, remove from heat but let it be hot.
- In the meanwhile, heat oil in a frying pan and add mustard seeds, sauté for few seconds or until aromatic then add red pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, and curry leaves and again sauté for few more seconds or until the spices are roasted but don’t overcook.
- Add this to the lentil and veggie mixture in the cooker and again cover the lid for about 4 to 5 minutes to incorporate with spices.
- Take out the sambhar in a serving dish and serve hot with white rice.